Tuesday 29 June 2010

Shopping for a Sewing Machine

As those of you who read my blogs would know, I rather sadly lost both of my grandmothers recently. One in December, and the other in early February. They were both wonderful women who unbeknownst to me, left me a small amount of money. I have decided to use the money to buy a new sewing machine. So, keeping in mind I have around between three and four thousand to spend, what do you recommend?

I currently have a Pfaff which I love. I am pretty brand loyal, but can be swayed. It will be used for piecing and quilting. Below is a list of things I know I want. What else would you suggest?

I want:
Automatic needle down
knee life on the needle
some pretty quilting stitches
a larger space to fit bigger quilts
an extension table

So, what are your suggestions??

3 comments:

Emma said...

I do love my Pfaff QE 4.0 (and it has all the features mentioned, though the extension wasn;t included with mine), but go and try some out and see how you feel then. I don;t actually like the extensions because they're too high at the front, but I'm making do well with strong boxes and a sew-slip mat to the left, and ab about to add to the back as well.

Quiltin Jenny said...

I was in the exact same boat when I lost my grandmother almost 2 years ago. I looked around at various dealers and found one who sold me the Pfaff QE 4.0 for a few hundred less than the other dealer AND threw in the FabuMotion kit. It was a show special, so keep that in mind if there are any shows near you coming up.
It has all of the features you mention and the biggest throat until you go to the Juki, I think.
I absolutely love the even feed, the big throat, and all of my pretty stitches.
I'm very happy with my selection! Good luck.

Lily Mulholland said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmothers Kylie. How lovely that they left a little something for you. I second the craft show idea - the Bernina people have some fab ex-demos available at shows (so I'm told), so I bet the other brands do too. They often have extras thrown in too - and you can demo all of them at the show.